York and Scarborough Hospitals maternity service is now using Badger Notes. This is an electronic system aimed at giving mothers more access to and control of their pregnancy records and care notes.
What is Badger Notes?
It’s an online portal and app that allows you to access your maternity records over the internet through your computer, tablet device or mobile phone. The information that you view is generated in real-time from your hospital-based maternity system record, using details entered by your midwife or other health professionals involved in your care.
You can use Badger Notes to
- Add details about yourself, such as your job and any allergies
- Add your plans and preferences for your care before, during and after your baby’s birth
- Feed back regarding your antenatal care, labour and birth experiences
- See a week by week timeline of your pregnancy
- Learn about your baby’s development
- Access information recommended by your midwife
- View booked appointments
- Write a personal diary
- Log blood pressure or pulse oximetry readings (pulse oximetry is a test used to measure the oxygen level (oxygen saturation) of the blood)
- View extracts of information direct from your medical record
- View the members of your care team
- Watch the ‘Antenatal care summary’ report grow into a record of your key pregnancy events
- Submit thoughts and questions about your antenatal care, birth plan, and postnatal care to your midwife to review at your next scheduled visit
What are the benefits?
Benefits of using Badger Notes instead of paper notes include:
- Information can be shared directly with you
- Records can be easily updated at each maternity visit or appointment
- Midwives do not have to double enter data onto paper handheld notes and an internal system
- Greater security/privacy as only those with the correct login details are able to access your notes (similar to internet banking)
You do not have to use Badger Notes. There are other options for people who cannot access the app or technology.
Booking on to our maternity services
If you are newly pregnant, you can self-refer to our services through a single point of access using the QR code. You will need your NHS number to use this service. If you don’t already know your NHS number, you can find out from reception.
You can then download the BadgerNotes app to access your record through your pregnancy.
For more information, please visit